How to Safely Save During Store Closing Sales
September 1, 2011 by Just Marry!
With the breaking news that, after almost 65 years in business, bridal salon Priscilla of Boston will be closing its doors, we wanted to take this time to address some concerns you may have related to taking advantage of clearance prices on bridal gowns and bridesmaids dresses.
Your savings can add up if you protect yourself by following a few simple suggestions while bargain dress shopping:
- Things to look out for on ‘sample’ dresses (the samples, in store, that are being sold off the rack): torn seams, snags, broken zippers, makeup stains or smudges, missing stones or lace, missing accessories (if it came with a belt or detached train, make sure you find it or negotiate the price down further).
- Make sure to find a good seamstress in case the shop cannot accommodate your alterations. Ask questions ahead of time about what can or cannot be done to altar a dress.
- Consider allowing each bridesmaid to wear a different style of gown to take advantage of sale bridesmaids dresses. You’re unlikely to find sample gowns in one style and multiple sizes, so go for the same color (or shades of one color) and different styles.
- Don’t stop at the dresses! Remember to look for things like undergarments, veils, belts, bags, shoes, or hosiery which are all likely to be on sale during a store-closing clearance.
- Keep in mind, once you have purchased a clearance gown, there’s no turning back as closing stores typically do not issue refunds or allow exchanges. Just be sure that the gown you choose isn’t luring you on low price alone!
Have you saved money by shopping smart, taking advantage of store closing sales or other bridal bargaining? We’d love to hear from you– your tips just may pop up on a future wedding blog!
If you have specific questions about this or any other wedding related topic, give us a buzz here. For more information on the specifics of the Priscilla of Boston store closing, please visit their website or email firstname.lastname@example.org.