Finding the Right Gown for Hard-to-Fit Sizes
August 30, 2015 by Just Marry!
Choosing your wedding gown should be a fun and exciting experience. For brides who don’t fit into the sample gowns carried in most bridal salons, however, the experience can be anything but. Here are some tips to find the perfect gown when you aren’t the typical model’s size:
- Find the right salon. Save yourself some time and headache by making a few calls before venturing out to try on wedding gowns. Try to find a salon that has your size in stock. That way, you’ll get to enjoy the trying-on experience while you’re there.
- Consult with a knowledgeable gown stylist. An experienced gown stylist will know what type of dress best suits your particular height and shape. Find a stylist you trust and let her make suggestions. Be careful not to judge the gown on the rack. Once you put it on, it may transform into the perfect one!
- Choose the right undergarments. What you wear under your gown is as important as the gown itself in determining how it fits your body. Before you start trying on wedding gowns, find good shapewear that you can bring to every appointment. Consult with a wardrobe stylist who knows how to fit bras and corsets so they fit properly.
- Shop by what appeals to you, not by what’s hot. Don‘t feel as though you have to purchase the latest trend in wedding dresses. It’s unlikely any of your guests will know who designed the gown or whether it’s “in” or not. Instead, focus on buying a dress that makes you feel confident and beautiful.
- Don’t let the size on the tag upset you. Most wedding gowns are sized a few sizes bigger than your normal size. (We know…we think that’s crazy, too!) Unfortunately, that’s standard in the wedding gown industry.
- Don’t purchase a gown in a size based on future weight-loss. Many times, brides insist they’re going to lose a lot of weight before the wedding and they buy a smaller gown than the stylist suggests. We recommend ordering the gown in your current size. It can almost always be taken in, but it can’t easily be let out!
If you follow these tips, your wedding gown buying experience will be a wonderful memory rather than a stress-filled time. Let us know how you went about choosing your gown in the comments!