Favorite First Dance Songs
You’ve just been announced as the newlyweds…now it’s time to celebrate and dance! We often hear that choosing music for the wedding brings on some difficult decisions for our clients, so today we thought we’d share some of our favorites!
From classics, to covers, to songs with meaning, the possibilities are endless. Adding some pressure to this decision is that this song will be the one you’ll always associate with the most special day of your lives. If you’re not sure which direction to take, maybe these suggestions will help!
- Classic Songs. Some of the classics such as “I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You,” “At Last,” “Let’s Stay Together,” “L-O-V-E,” and “Unforgettable” are all lovely songs, and have many renditions and also are just as powerful in instrumental versions. Everyone will be swaying to these songs they know and love as you dance for the first time as a married couple.
- Today’s Hits. If the classics aren’t for you, some of the most popular first dance songs are ones we often hear every day. Perhaps it’s a song meaningful to you and your new spouse because you often sing it in the car together, or you danced to it once upon a time. Examples of today’s popular love songs include “Perfect” by Ed Sheeran, “All of Me” by John Legend, “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran, and “Marry You” by Bruno Mars, to name a few.
- Country Love Songs. They say that people from the south are sweet and speak from the heart, and it’s proven in these first dance songs! If you want something with a little country twang, songs like “Then” by Brad Paisley, “My Best Friend” by Tim McGraw, “Wanna Be That Song” by Brett Eldredge, and “Today” by Brad Paisley could be the song for you and your sweetie!
- Something Different or Unique to You. Perhaps you are a couple who likes to do things different, or who have that song that is your go-to when you hit the dancefloor. Some original song ideas may be “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by Sleeping at Last, “Happy” by Pharrell, “Better Together” by Jack Johnson, “XO” by John Mayer, “Love On Top” by Beyoncé, and “Happy Together” by The Turtles.
- Movie-Inspired Songs. We’ve watched the love story on the big screen, so now it’s time for you to create a movie-like scene on the dancefloor with one of these classic songs from the movie soundtrack. “A Thousand Years” from the movie Twilight, “I’ve Had the Time of My Life” from Dirty Dancing, “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” from Armageddon, and “Photograph” from Me Before You all made our favorites list.
While the list could go on, we hope that these few suggestions give you some inspiration for your first dance song selection. Did you choose a song from our list for your wedding? Tell us in the comments what you selected!
Whether you’ve known early on what your first dance song will be or you’d like some friendly advice, we can help bring all of your wedding elements together! Just e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get back to you right away.